Many users have asked us how to import an Excel file. You can import a Microsoft Excel file if you convert it to a plain text file first (ASCII Format). This is easy and can be done in MS Excel® . We will walk you through the entire process here.
Converting MS Excel To ASCII Text Format
- Open Excel and open the file you wish to convert.
- Delete any row that contains header information that you do not wish to import. Note that headers may exist through out your document – not just at the top of the page. It is important that you remove all fields that are not intended for import.
- Delete any empty columns. These are columns that do NOT contain any information. You do not have to delete columns that appear to the right of the spreadsheet after your data.
- Delete any records that you do not wish to import.
- Click File and select Save As . A dialog box will open.
- Click the Save As Type box (bottom of the form) and select the “Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)” option.
- Select a place to locate your new text file and click OK. Close MS Excel® . You do not have to save your changes if do not wish to. You are done creating your text file in Excel.
- Backup your Total Office Manager database.
- Open Total Office Manager and follow the Import Data Wizard Instructions. Be sure to use the Tab Delimiter when asked to select a delimiter.
- Total Office Manager inventory item numbers/names may contain up to 15 characters. If your import file contains item numbers with more, these items will not be imported.
- To delete cells, rows, or columns in MS Excel: Select the cells, rows, or columns you want to delete. On the Edit menu, click Delete. If you are deleting a range of cells, click Shift cells left, Shift cells up, Entire row, or Entire column in the Delete dialog box.
- Microsoft Excel keeps formulas up to date by adjusting references to the shifted cells to reflect their new locations. However, a formula that refers to a deleted cell displays the #REF! error value.
- Headers are names of columns such as “Name”. “Company, and “City”.
- Only the current worksheet will be exported in MS Excel.
- Our technical support staff cannot provide you with technical support for Microsoft Excel® . We don’t have any affiliation or special control over this product.
Excel® is a registered trademark of Microsoft and is not affiliated with Total Office Manager.