The Item Category List is used to setup and manage the item categories in an organization. Item categories allow for the logical grouping of like Items. For example, a computer service company might have item categories for motherboards, cases, and memory. An HVAC service company might have categories for motors, thermostats, and A/C condensers. Item categories can be extremely useful when using the Inventory Replenishment feature of the program, as well as for certain item related reports.
From the main menu, click Company | Lists | Item Category List.
Perhaps the easiest way of using the commands available in this list is through its right-click menu. The right-click menu is identical to the title menu.
- To create a new item category, right click anywhere in the list and choose New Item Category from the pop-up menu.
- To edit an item category, right-click on it and choose Edit Item Category from the pop-up menu.
- To delete an item category, right-click on it and choose Delete Item Category from the pop-up menu. Note: It may not always be possible to perform this action — inactivation may be more appropriate.
- To inactivate an item category, right-click on it and choose Make Item Category Inactive from the pop-up menu. This can also be done by ticking the “Inactive” checkbox within a record itself.
- To export whatever information is currently displayed in the list, right-click anywhere in the list and choose Export List from the pop-up menu.
Creating a New Item Category
Create a new item category as follows:
- Right click anywhere in the Item Category List and choose New Item Category from the pop-up menu. The Add Item Category form will appear.
- Enter a title for the new category in the “Category Name” field.
- If the item category is a “sub” or “child” of another existing category, choose the “parent” category from the “Subcategory of” field. For example, a computer service company may create a parent department called “Memory” and setup subcategories for “DDR” and “DDR2”.
- Click OK to save and close the form, Cancel to abort the action, or Next to save and add another.
- An item category can be made inactive from within its form by ticking the inactive checkbox.