How to Troubleshoot GPS Tracking Issues
The following steps should be followed if you are having trouble displaying your mobile devices or vehicles on the schedule board’s map.
This help topic does not include Verizon troubleshooting steps. That link is below.
GPS Troubleshooting Step by Step Guide
First Step: It is important to know if all of your assets are having this problem or just some of them. If just some of them, look for differences in the setup and hardware for the working and non working devices. You should also check to see if GPS data is being saved to the GPS Tracking Data list. Check Location Tracking settings. These things are covered in more detail covered below.
- Does the Aptora software receive GPS information? Check Total Office Manager and Aptora Mobile II’s GPS Tracking Lists to see if data is being received. Aptora Mobile II has a GPS Data List. In Total Office Manager, there is a Custom Data View for GPS data. Pay attention to any devices that are working versus those that are not.
- You should make sure you are on the latest version of Total Office Manager and Aptora Mobile II. If that is not practical, check the Release Notes to see if there have been any related fixes or updates.
- If the problem is related to tracking a mobile device, please check to see if there are any updates available for that mobile device. This often resolves the issue.
- The Aptora Mobile II app must be running for this system to operate. Verify that it is running.
- Is Location Sharing turned off? Keep in mind that many mobile devices can and will block GPS (location) data from being shared. A user might get a message informing the user that their device is being tracked. The user can turn this off. There may not be anything that Aptora can do about that.
- Location Tracking must be set to “Always Track this Device” and not to “Track this Device Only When in Use”. Depending on your device, the working of these options might be a little different.
- Apple specifically needs to have Location Tracking on (of course). Important: It MUST be set to “Always”. The “Precision Location” needs to be turned on.
- Android needs to have Location Tracking On and the app must be set to “Allow All the Time”. The “Use Precise Location Sharing” option needs to be turned on.
- Check to make sure that the Devices button is depressed on the map’s toolbar. That button toggles tracking on and off.
- Do you have enough licenses? The Aptora GPS Tracking license count must be equal to or greater than the number of assets with this option checked. For example, if you setup ten assets to track and you have five actual tracking licenses from Aptora, your map will display only five assets. Check to see how many assets have the “Track on Schedule Board Map” option is checked and compare that to ho many licenses you have purchased. Your Aptora Account Manager can tell you how many you own.
Advanced Info for Aptora Support
Initial Steps and Questions
- Have they entered and activated the assets correctly?
- Does the number of assets match their number of tracking licenses?
- Is the problem with Verizon, AMII app, or both?
- Do any of the units show up on the map (some or none)?
- If some, are they always the same ones that show and do not show?
- If some, do they have anything in common such as OS or device brand/model? If yes, gather that information.
- Is there GPS data in the database for the devices that do not show on the map?
These steps can only be followed by an Aptora Support Agent.
- Double check the Advanced Troubleshooting Steps first.
- Check to make sure that the client’s Equipment and Service Agreements have been entered and are correct in Aptora’s Company File.
- Check the client’s license count. To avoid problems or confusion, be sure they have not setup more Assets than they have licenses.
- The Istruck field in the database should be set to 1
- The TrackonSB field in the database should be set to 1
- For Apple Issues: Apple specifically needs to have Location Tracking on (of course). However, it MUST be set to “Always Allow” and the “Precision Location” needs to be turned off. Note: The Always Allow is not common for most apple users but we do not always track even with that setting set. We only track when the app is opened. Our app does not work properly if that Apple setting is set to “Only While Using”.
Technical Information on GPS
The following information is technical and meant for those with a desire or a need to know more about how the system works.
- When the credentials are entered into the SBMS, they are saved to the database. At this time, we don’t attempt to validate those credentials.
- Aptora Mobile II has a Quartz job set up to run every two minutes. Once it finds the Verizon credentials in the database, it will execute the following steps each time it runs:
- Request an authorization key from the Verizon API.
- Request all vehicle records from the Verizon API.
- Using the VIN number, match the Verizon vehicle record to the Total Office Manager Fixed Asset record.
- Save the Verizon Vehicle Id as the MEID for the matching TOM Vehicle Fixed Asset.
- Request all the vehicle locations from the Verizon API.
- Find the most recent location for each vehicle.
- If a Verizon location is newer than the last known TOM location, save a new AssetGPS record using the Verizon Vehicle Id as the DeviceId.
- GPS data is received from the satellite and sent to the Verizon servers every two minutes (or your Verizon preference). If a vehicle is outside of cellular coverage, the Verizon device will store GPS data for transmission later (for up to 30 days).