Understanding and Using the Time Off Tab
This help topic covers how to use the Employee Payroll Items > Time Off tab.
Use Time Off Types to track the various reasons employees receive time off. This may include vacation, personal time, sick days, etc. Most of the fields that we discuss here have already been filled in because you have already entered this information when you set up the individual time off item.
The Time Off Tab displays individual payroll items for a certain employee. These are items you should have already setup in Total Office Manager.
You can add any number of these items to this list. You may change certain properties of these items without changing the original tax items. Please note that some properties will NOT be enabled and therefore can’t be changed.
Once an item is part of this list, many of its properties are independent (or detached) from the original Time Off item. That means you can edit them without affecting the original tax item.
Accessing the Employee Payroll Items Time Off Tab
- From the Employee form, click Menu > Payroll Items. Click the Time Off tab.
- From the Employee List, right click on the employee and click Payroll Items. Click the Time Off tab.
Accessing the Main Time Off Type
From the main menu, click Employees | Lists | Payroll Items List. This list includes all payroll item types, including Time Off types (if any).
- The List Grid shows all time off types for the group. To add an item, click in the ID column and click on the down arrow to bring up a list of items. Select the item to add to the list. The order they are selected becomes their new sort order. To delete, click on the red x in the first column. To select, click anywhere on the line or use the record selector on the left.
- The ID field was populated when this item was first created. You can’t change this.
- In the Description field, enter a short description of the item (optional) or change the one that is already there.
- Using the Accrual Period selection, select the date when the accrual period occurs. Your options are Every Paycheck, Every Year and Every Hour.
- In the Reset hours each new year checkbox, check this box if you want NO hours carried over at the beginning of the year.
- In the Hours Per Year/Paycheck/Hour field, change the number of hours an employee gets per year, paycheck, or hour.
- In the Hours Accrued field, change the number of hours an employee already has (if needed).
- In the Hours Used field, change the correct number for time off hours the employee has already used (if needed).
- In the Hours Carried Over field, change the correct number for hours an employee has from a previous year.