The Customer Equipment feature is used to track customer equipment. This can include both new equipment sold to a customer as well as existing equipment they already own. This data can then be used in a variety of ways including marketing to customers who have outdated and inefficient equipment. More importantly, if a safety recall is issued on equipment you sell, that equipment and its owners can be quickly identified so corrective measures can be taken.
The “Add Customer Equipment” form is used to record a customer’s equipment. Multiple ways of opening this form exist. As a matter of fact, at the very moment serialized equipment is sold the user will be prompted to automatically enter the equipment into the customer’s equipment list.
Tip: When a sale of serialized equipment is made, the program asks if you would like to automatically enter the equipment into the customer’s equipment list. This feature only works with Serialized items.
Other ways of opening the Add Customer Equipment form include:
From the main menu, click Customers | Customer Equipment List then right-click anywhere in the list and select New Customer Equipment.
From a Customer:Job form, click Menu | Create Equipment.
From a Work Order, click Menu | Create | Equipment.
Field and Button Definitions
- Customer – Use this field to enter the customer or job that owns this piece of equipment.
- Description – Use this area to enter a brief description of the equipment.
- Model Number – Use this area to enter the model number for this piece of equipment.
- Install Date – Use this area to enter an installation date for the equipment. This is primarily used for new equipment that your company installs.
- In Service – Use this area to enter whether this equipment is in-service or not.
- Serial Number – Use this area to enter a serial number of the equipment.
- Type – Use this area to enter the type of equipment. (Example: Furnace, Hot Water Heater, etc.)
- Manufacturer – The manufacture of the equipment.
- Year Manufactured – Use this area to enter the year the equipment was manufactured.
- Equipment Location – Use this area to enter the location of the equipment. (Example: North side of roof, basement, crawl space, etc.).
- Our Warranty – Use this field to enter when your warranty expires.
- Mfg Warranty – Use this field to enter when the manufacturer warranty expires.
- Save & Close – Saves and exits the form.
- Save & New – Saves then opens a new form.
- Cancel – Exits the form without saving.
- Menu | Save – Manually saves the form and leaves it open.
- Menu | Copy – Creates an identical duplicate record of a piece of customer equipment. It’s useful for when it might be easier to copy an original record and make a few changes to it, rather than enter all information into a blank form from scratch.
- Menu | Revert – Causes the form to dismiss any changes and return to information contained when last saved. It is the same as canceling the record without saving changes, then re-opening the record.
- Menu | Notes – Opens the notepad for that specific piece of equipment. A virtually unlimited amount of notes can be entered here. See the related topic, “Notes” for details.
- Menu | Image – Opens the “Customer Equipment Image” window, used to display a digital photo of the specific piece of equipment for identification purposes and use on reports. Click the “Select” button and use the Windows® “Open” dialog box to steer the program to where the image lives. Statistics about the image are displayed in the Image Information area of Company Image window. Use the OK button to accept the image or the Clear button to delete an image from the window. See the related topic, “Images” for more info.
- Menu | Delete – Removes the record from the system.
- Menu | Create Work Order – Opens a new work order, pre-populated with the customer information and already having this piece of equipment selected.
- Menu | Customer | Customer History – Opens the customer’s history form.
- Menu | Customer | Edit Customer – Opens the Customer:Job form for the customer.
- Menu | Customer | Contact Log – Opens the customer’s Contact Log. See the related topic, “Contact Log” for more info.
- Ask your technicians to record the model, serial number, brand, and description of all equipment that your company works on; even if they did not service it.
- The time you spend to enter details about customer equipment will be well spent. This information can be used to market needed accessories and services to your customers.
- Avoid using dashed and spaces when entering models and serial numbers; this will make it easier to perform searches.